I recently received the following request, and I wanted to share it because it demonstrates the qualities of an ideal client, and it was also a great opportunity to share the benefits of my tutoring service. A few things to note:
- She and her daughter are both motivated and proactive. The request came at the very beginning of the school year, so they are looking to play keep-up rather than catch-up. They are thinking long-term about how to maximize the daughter’s educational opportunities and prevent problems from developing, rather than operating in damage-control mode.
- She is discriminating and willing to invest in her daughter’s education. She knows what she is and isn’t looking for, and is shopping based on quality instead of price. Rather than seeking bargain-basement alternatives, she is looking for the solution that delivers the maximum value.
“I am considering on line tutoring for my child (H.S. junior). Her current math & physics teachers (public H S) are either confusing or have difficulty in expressing concepts and she is attempting to teach herself the info of these advanced classes. She has expressed that she doesn’t want to get too frustrated, do poorly, and let the grades interfere with a possible interest she has in pursuing a STEM career. She has not used any tutoring in the past. Here’s my q’s: 1) can you help tutor both areas in one session? 2) how are your services different than just a homework helpline? 3) do you also do act prep for math & sciences 4) do you follow a set curriculum? I anticipate weekly tutoring would be most beneficial and would pay the monthly fee.”
“I’m glad to hear that your daughter is taking a proactive interest in her education and her career. It is very inspiring when young people take responsibility for their own lives, and it reflects very highly on the maturity of their parents. So, congratulations!
To answer your questions:
1) Yes, I can help your daughter with both math and physics! These areas are my specialties, and I have extensive experience working with students at her grade level specifically. You can see testimonials from several of them and their parents on my testimonial page: https://synergytutoring.wordpress.com/testimonials/
2) My service is unique in a number of ways. One is that I take a personal interest in every student I work with and I care very much about seeing them succeed, not just in class or in school but in life. When it comes to tutoring, one end of the spectrum is homework help, which is basically providing answers and explanations for specific assignments, and the other end of the spectrum is academic coaching, which focuses on the student’s overall, holistic success and satisfaction in academics, career planning, and every aspect of life. This is the type of service that I offer.
3) Yes, I can help your daughter prepare for the ACT! I am very familiar with the topics and strategies for both the ACT and the SAT, and I can help your daughter integrate the preparation for these tests into her overall study plans. I earned a full scholarship to a prestigious liberal arts college based on my ACT score, so I know that my strategies work! I even have a series of articles I have written covering all aspects of preparing for the ACT and SAT that I will be happy to share with her.
4) In your daughter’s case, since she is already following a curriculum, I would help her to master the material she is already studying. However, because of my specialized background in math and physics, including an undergraduate degree, 3.5 years of graduate work and university teaching experience, and 10 years of tutoring experience, I can adapt my approach to specifically prepare her for the continuing work she will need to undergo in order to prepare for a STEM career. As a future engineer or scientist, she can especially benefit from my foresight in laying the groundwork for more advanced studies and a rewarding career. I understand the types of reasoning and study habits that are essential for success in these careers, and I can help her to establish them early on, giving her an edge in her studies from the very beginning. Many students begin to undertake such courses of study only to drop out when the going gets tough, but with my help she will find her advanced studies to be a stimulating and rewarding challenge, not a stressful obstacle.
I believe that all kids are smart, and my job is to prove it to them. I specialize in working with each student’s individual learning style to make the learning process stress-free and fun! I understand the difficulties of being a student and the challenges that teachers, especially those in the public schools, face in trying to do the best they can for a wide range of students. I especially like working with talented, motivated students like your daughter to help them reach their full potential in science and math, so I am sure it will be especially rewarding to work with her. Please get in touch and let me know when you would like to start!